Saturday, December 17, 2011

Finished Project: Burdastyle A-line skirt with patch pockets 10/2011

I finished my first Burdastyle pattern - this A-line skirt. (Sorry, no pices yet!) I love the 70s vibe with the big patch pockets and the top-stitching. I made it with a reddish/orange drill that I picked up from Spotlight's clearance table for $3/m. It's quite a heavy fabric so I didn't line it. I pinked all the seams which is the first time I've tried that. We'll see how it wears!

This should have been a really quick skirt to sew but I struck a problem with the zipper. It called for an invisible zipper to be sewn into the side seam. I don't have an invisible zipper foot but tried with my regular zipper foot which was a massive fail. I then tried put a regular zipper in and it was also a fail. FOUR attempts at putting in the zipper and I decided that sewing a zipper into a seam that has a two-layered pocket is ridiculous! By this stage I had already cut out the skirt and sewn it up. I decided to cut my losses with the side seam and I just sewed it close. Then I followed Casey's (Elegant Musings) great tutorial for putting a zipper in when there's no seam and I put the zipper down the back! I was so pleased with the results!

This is the first time I've finished a Burdastyle garment. The first one I lost a lot of weight while I was halfway through and abandoned it and the second one was supposed to be a maternity dress but I chose the fabric from hell and it was thrown in the bin! I didn't mind printing and sticking it together. The cutting instructions were vague. There were no sizes on the pattern pieces. Also it didn't tell you how many of each piece to cut on the actual pattern pieces. It does say in Step 2 but I didn't see that and only cut 2x pocket pieces and one of each waistband piece. It also only says to interface the outer waistband in the Cutting instructions but not in the construction step. So, you kind of need to know what the basic steps to putting a skirt together are.

I'd like to make this in a wool fabric for Winter. A bit like this Milly Wool Tweed Skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment